Friday, March 1, 2013

Heading to Spain

I'm excited to be participating in a residency at Can Serrat Centro de Actividades Artisticas, located in a rustic farmhouse in Montserrat Natural Park, near the city of Barcelona, Spain.

Here's more information about my trip in a press release that will be distributed in coming days. I wanted you to be the first to see it!

WESTPORT ARTIST SELECTED FOR RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Westport-based artist Maddy Bragar will travel to the mountains of Spain this April for a month-long residency and will share her experience through photos and commentary on her personal blog.

Bragar applied for the residency last year, while recovering from a very serious bicycle accident.

"I made a promise to myself that if I regained my mobility I would work not smaller, but larger, and be as adventurous as possible," said Bragar. "This art adventure is about healing, appreciation and determination. It's about the dedication of a community of friends and family who encouraged me to keep moving."

The residency is at the Can Serrat Centro de Actividades Artisticas, located in a rustic farmhouse in Montserrat Natural Park, near the city of Barcelona. She will live in a communal atmosphere with a community of film makers, writers and visual artists from around the world.

"Like my healing, the work will be a discovery of process and materials and time," Bragar said. "I have my tools, brushes and sketch books packed, some paint and canvas, and most of all an open mind."

Bragar's art focuses on assemblage and painting inspired by materials she finds in the natural world. She is particularly interested in the effect of time and erosion on objects related to the sea and farmlands near her home.

"Having my studio in Westport has brought my work into the pine trees, the ever-changing seascape, and the places where people worked with their hands over generations of seasons respecting the elements that simultaneously challenged and sustained their existence."

Bragar has studied with artists including Joan Snyder, John Murray, Jon Ember, Sue Miller and Ron Rizzi, and her on-site work has spanned from the seashores of the East Coast of the United States to the deserts of the American West.

Her work has been featured throughout the South Coast and Boston area. She participates in the DeCordova Museum's Corporate Program, an initiative that provides area businesses with opportunities to support the museum and New England-based contemporary artists, and The Art Drive, an annual event featuring the work of artists based in Westport and Dartmouth.

Readers interested in following Bragar's international experience may visit her personal blog at www.maddybragar.com.

###

6 comments:

Scattergood-Moore said...

Congratulations on your residency at Can Serrat Centro de Actividades Artisticas and your neww blog.

Sca said...

Congratulations, Maddy on your residency at Can Serrat Centro de Actividades Artisticas - and on this Blog. Can wait to see what you create in Spain.
Your buddy,
Scattergood-Moore

Sca said...

OK, OK, that should have been
"CAN'T WAIT to see what you create in Spain and what you will share with us here."

Carlos Fernandez said...

Felicidades Maddy, seguro que esta maravillosa tierra te recibirá como mereces y será capaz de inspirar tu creatividad.
estoy seguro que el "calor" de mi pais" hará que sea una estancia feliz y llena de nuevas y maravillosas vivencias...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Maddy! What fun this will be. I look forward to seeing your blog posts and enjoying this part of Spain vicariously.

(and thanks for the names of teachers I need to pursue in Newton - I am on it!)

Gwen Chasan

Dorothy said...

Buenas Dias!
Como esta? I finally figured this out on google. Habla! I can't wait to hear about how you are? I hope all is well!
xoxsweetd

Post a Comment